Of course IBM could try again and offer a free license - they'd probably raise the price of the compilers to cover it - but my view is that it would make little or no difference.

I spent years while with IBM, and even more years after leaving IBM, tying to persuade developers to update their programming skills and tools.

Like Jim I have sadly reached the conclusion that for a great many IBM i developers having a price put on RDi just gave them a "better" excuse not to learn it. They are content to remain coding RPG III style programs using SEU and without management pressure to change they never will.

The infuriating thing is that if management do insist that they switch and, more importantly, offer training so that they can use it fully - then a large percentage will recognize the benefits and happily keep using it.

It is somewhat pointless to discuss the topic here because the vast majority of the programmers who care enough about their trade to follow this list are not the ones stuck in their rut. Those that are on the list and unable to convince their management to pay (and a 120 day trial should really be long enough to convince your boss of the benefits) will probably use one of the free/low-cost alternatives. Others, like myself, will be sufficiently sold on the benefits to buy their own copy. I pay out my hard-earned $s every year and it is worth every cent.

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com