We have dueling V9000 data stores, one at a DR site several miles from our main office. They talk to each other using IBM's v9000 to v9000 replication. This is totally invisible to the LPARs on our primary system-- it's all done by the storage systems.

In our case, the remote location is normally just receiving data, but the LPAR is not 'awake.' In a disaster, we will IPL the LPAR. Since the primary copy failed (for whatever reason-- maybe a plane landed on the building), the IPL will be about 2 hours-- IPL after an abnormal termination.

Our backup to tape is on our primary system. We make a flash copy of the primary LPAR, and do an option/21 backup on the flashed copy. Tapes go offsite using an 'offsite storage company.' In our case, the office is all working off-site, except for our night-time computer operator. He shuffles tapes for pickup by the offsite storage company.

Our tape rotation is 35 days-- at month end the backup tapes are archived off-site almost forever. No special backup, we just grab the month-end option/21 tape, and add more new tapes to the rotation.

--Paul E Musselman