SAS TS2900 with LTO 6/7/8 is a cheap autoloader and you can put 8
cartridges inside.and move using BRMS commands or web UI

El lun., 8 de junio de 2020 18:20, Jim Oberholtzer <
midrangel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escribió:

You can get a single tape unit (SAS or fiber) and a 1u rack mount. I have
several. They work fine understanding the will need manual load/unload.

BTW change the device to NOT unload at vary off or you’ll make a trip or
two to the tape unit until you remember to do that.

You could also get an RDX drive and use the USB 3 port. That’s cheapest.

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 3:47 PM midrange <franz9000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Can I ask a side question in this thread - what is a bare bones appliance
(that supports BRMS) in the rack with Power I to back up to cost? About
250gb in use.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf
Of
Rob Berendt
Sent: Monday, June 08, 2020 4:05 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Subject: RE: Backup Tape rotation with Corona-virus

Present some alternatives.

One alternative is new mylar libraries with the monthly recurring cost of
using Iron Mountain to run tapes back and forth on a daily basis and the
2-3
hours a day to manually prepare the tapes for shipment and receive them
back
in. Plus the cost of training a backup person to do it so you can go on
vacation. Make sure you quote the latest LTOx models available from IBM
and
the cost of all those tape cartridges which ain't cheap.
Also quote that every x years you'll need to duplicate all the tapes from
LTOx to LTOy. Been through that a few times. Changing it out will let
you
know that the tape drives are on a model supported by IBM, and the drive
is
supported by your latest hardware, and the mylar hasn't gone bad in that
time frame. Especially applicable for those archive tapes you append to
at
year end only. Gosh, I really do not miss mylar.

IBM Certified System Administrator - IBM i 6.1 Group Dekko Dept 1600 Mail
to: 2505 Dekko Drive
<
https://www.google.com/maps/search/2505+Dekko+Drive?entry=gmail&source=g>
Garrett, IN 46738