Hi Paul

OK; just my experience. I may be wrong. Well, actually it looks like I *am*
wrong.

I am surprised, but that's OK - thanks for posting the timing.

On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 4:58 PM Steinmetz, Paul <PSteinmetz@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Evan,

CRTNWSSTG NWSSTG(P08CRST1) NWSSIZE(600000) FROMNWSSTG(*NONE) FORMAT(*OPEN)
ASP(1) TEXT('P08 Rst 1') OFFSET(*FORMAT)
Took 4 hours to complete.

Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Evan Harris
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2018 4:08 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: How long should it take to initialize a 600gb NWS load source?

I think recreating the storage space would probably have been quicker, at
least that what my experience has been (though I do not have any actual
numbers to quantify this).

The only reason I can think of why this might be is that the CRTNWSSTG runs
on the host system and accesses the disk directly whereas the disk
initialization is going through a layer of virtualization.

I also think the CRTNWSSTG has less performance impact on the disks which
is useful if there is any workload running in the hosted LPAR.

On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 9:09 AM Steinmetz, Paul <PSteinmetz@xxxxxxxxxx>