  • Subject: Re: Large screen monitor
  • From: "Eric N. Wilson" <doulos1@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 00:42:19 -0700

> The biggest disadvantage of a block-mode interface over a workstation...

Hey and you could do it with a VT52 on the PDP11 :-) Why IBM chose to retain
Block Mode and EBCDIC rather than use Stream mode and ASCII is beyond me...
Well perhaps now is the time for the AS/400 to make a transition? Why not go
Unicode for everything in the system? UTF8 at least. As far as editors go,
SEU gets the job done ( sort of clunky but it works ) and it could be
enhanced to do most of the things the SEU proponents on this list are asking
for...  But eventually stream mode editors will have to be the preferred
method on the AS/400... For example who in the world would use EDLIN when
they have EDIT available ( on DOS machines )... It is like people on UNIX
using VI rather than a real editor ( EMACS sort of falls in the real editor
category but I just do not like it...)

I have yet to find a editor that I like for RPG other than SEU. For
everything else Codewright works great!!! (Non AS/400 stuff that is) I know
the Flex Edit product is written with Codewright as the base but I honestly
preferred Picante software's RPG-Free :-) Paul Conte, if you happen to see
this you did a fine piece of work way back then!!! You make RPG bearable for
many years for me!!!

Eric N. Wilson
President
Doulos Software & Computer Services