I finally figured out what was going wrong. What it should have been is this (and it's now in the ILE RPG source for the service program:

CREATE FUNCTION WTFOOBAR/CENSORACCT(NUMERIC(9,0)) RETURNS CHAR(1) LANGUAGE RPGLE PARAMETER STYLE GENERAL NO SQL PROGRAM TYPE SUB EXTERNAL NAME WTFOOBAR/CENSORACCT(CENSORACCT)

(only the names were changed, to protect the innocent).

And I'll look into iNav, when I get a few minutes. But am I even licensed on it?

--
JHHL