Aaron,

RBDE (Rational Business Developer Extension) is the Rational 'plug-in'
that contains the EGL tools. This is in addition to whatever the IDE will
end up costing.

I received several cordial responses from IBM when I emailed them in
December after news of the unbundling started circulating. Ours is such a
teeny little shop that I'm not sure how much weight my request carried,
but $3K (per year?) is a large portion of our development budget.

JK

On Wed Jan 30 15:56 , 'Aaron Bartell' sent:

I wonder if they could allow "renting" a license like MyEclipseIDE.com
does.
$2630 is a lot for a single IDE if you ask me. If you use it for hours
on
end then it can become more justifyable, but that isn't the case these
days
IMO.

What if they did something like $300/year per user? Then if a user
doesn't
use it, in year two they can simply choose to not renew. Or if they need
it
6 months into the second year they can simply renew and have it for a
year
past that point. I think people would be more willing to make a mistake
spending $300/year x 5 developers vs. dishing out $2630 for a couple of
floaters.

One of my customers said it best in a conversation I had with him...
"They
can milk me all they want, but they can only skin me once." LOL!

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com

---- Msg sent via Internet America Webmail -
http://www.internetamerica.com/