DBelcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Joe,

If EGL is going to be part of a chargeable version or at least a higher
charge than the base, why would I want to learn it? I mean it is going
to be a struggle to get the money for the existing developers for SEU
and RDi (formerly known as WDSc) so why thrown in an additional amount
based on the fact the "I would like to try it out"? or have I
completely missed the boat?
Well, the first thing is it's going to be up to you (hopefully with the appropriate help from IBM) to explain that you are NOT going to have to pay "extra money" for existing developers for SEU and RDi. In fact, as far as I can tell, unless you have more than four developers on a P05 or more than eight on a P10, then you will be entitled to the new stuff without charge or darned close to it.

If you DO have twenty developers on a P05, you've been cheating the system for a while and you're going to pay. In fact, this pricing structure exactly targets that group.

But neither of those points have to do with EGL. So let's talk about EGL.

EGL makes you more productive. WAY more productive. I can't even tell you how much easier it is to create web applications with EGL than with any other tooling. Even if you were to use the pure SQL tooling and not take advantage of a single line of RPG, it's still easier to write web applications in EGL than in any other toolset except perhaps the .NET framework. Some would argue the "easiest" moniker, but I don't think anybody would argue that it's ONE of the best.

Now, add in the tight integration to i5/OS for calling RPG code and the end-to-end debugging, and there's simply no better tool out there for creating web applications.

Now, if you want to use a non-IBM approach, you can spend $50/year on MyEclipse and have a very nice development environment. You'll have to learn JSF and Java and all of that. Another option is PHP, and I won't even bother this list with PHP. It has its proponents, we'll see where they are two years from now.

If cost is your deciding factor then one of these is the better solution - provided you value your time at zero. If, however, you think your time has some intrinsic value, then you need to compare the hours saved using EGL to the cost of the product.

How many EGL seats will you need? I suspect not every developer in your shop will need one, and in fact, if you're trying to do a proof of concept, you'll only need one. What if IBM included one seat of the tools with the compiler license? I've been lobbying hard for that, as you may know. Would that give you enough impetus to at least try the language?

This is a crucial point, and I'd like everyone to chime in. Let IBM know if being able to kick the tires is crucial to your decision to even try EGL. Several on the lists have already said so - feel free to add yourself to that contingent, Doug!

Joe