I do not think that that model will apply to the iSeries stuff as Rational
need to write the projects to glue together themselves.

Sure it could. Right now Rational doesn't get any money from WDSC as I
understand it. I took the MyEclipseIDE model and mutiplied it by six (I pay
$50/year) to get that $300 to account for the fact that they develop a lot
of custom code.

I don't know if this would be an appropriate estimate, but let's say there
are 2000 people using WDSC today that would be willing to "rent" a yearly
license to continue use. The would be $300 x 2000 = $600,000 they didn't
have before (and they get it EVERY year). I would love to see the RPG
tooling we could have if they actually get the money they need to make
things happen. Depending on how much IBM pays it's Java developers, that
would net at least 7 or 8 additional developers working full time on RDi
tooling [air guitar].

Now, the key will be for them to _ensure_ this money goes back into
RPG/iSeries specific tooling vs. getting lost in the mess of other Rational
software.

Maybe what we should demand from IBM is a roadmap for RDi so we know what we
are investing in?? I say this because I don't like the fact that EGL is my
modernization strategy for RPG GUI - they built what they *thought* we
needed based on their "thorough querying of the RPG/iSeries community".

To Joe's and Buck's point, let's continue to hone this conversation down to
a point of a refined statement we can send to Sam Palmisano. Other's that
agree with the statement can simply resend the same statement with their
"signature".

Thoughts?

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com