Scripting inside an editor can be a real time saver. MiWorkplace has (or had ... don't know the current state) the feature of editing and executing JavaScript inside the IDE including access to the AST of current RPG and CL code and also access to the AS400 class of the JTOpen project which gives you remote access to all important services. Great feature, seldom used ... sadly.