On 1/19/2023 5:15 PM, Mihael wrote:

For me ... at the moment ... Eclipse RCP framework is the only way to go if you want to develop a GUI application (non-browser) in Java.

Bravo Mihael!

It seems to me that my particular workflow in my particular environment has a great bearing on the editor that I want to use.

As an RPGer doing mostly maintenance, I had a Code/400 script that I used to pick out the file name on an F-spec, reach out to the IBM system and pop up a window of check-able column names. Select the ones I want and I have an instant data structure, SQL SELECT clause, O-specs (remember those?), even a list of TODO comments that remind me what columns I need to put on the screen. Code was great for this kind of thing because I could just open another Code window, work on the script, and then test/use it in real time in the RPG source member I was working on.

It's possible to do similar things in Eclipse/RDi - access to JT400 is SUPER POWERFUL - but I have to stop what I'm doing, change mental gears, get into Java mode, write/deploy/test/repeat until the plugin is Good Enough. Then I switch back into RPG mode and get back to whatever I was doing. Very much more disruptive than real time scripting.

I have only recently looked at scripting Liam's extensions to VS Code, so I have no opinion yet.

SEU is unscriptable. No alternative key bindings, no internal hooks/extension points and a block mode interface.