On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 10:18 AM Jim Franz <franz9000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

No $$ for a real product - but so far Notepad ++ seems best option, with
text file names like
Library_SourceType_TextDescription.txt
ABCLIB_RPGLE_Process_Provider_IRS_Matching_file.txt

Maybe this is a minor point, but I would personally leverage the
directory structure rather than embedding the library into the file
name. Further, I would not stick the description in the file name
(just too unwieldy), and I would put the source type in the extension
(rather than using `.txt`, since we can reasonably assume that ALL of
these are going to be text).

Basically, if you have a source member named

MYLIB/QRPGLESRC(MYPGM)

I would stick it in a text file named

/mylib/qrpglesrc/mypgm.rpgle

Note that the `.rpgle` at the end is not necessarily redundant with
the PF name, because (at least at our shop) an RPG program with
embedded SQL has the type attribute SQLRPGLE, so we could also have a

/mylib/qrpglesrc/pgm2.sqlrpgle

I would store the descriptions separately somehow (either another
database, or a JSON file, or CSV, etc.). I guess you could also maybe
throw them in as the first line of the individual source text files
(as a comment), but I think it's valuable to have the descriptions
easily viewable and searchable.

John Y.