Thanks for all the replies - someone here is suggesting BitBucket (we have
our java code there).
Jim

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 11:11 AM John Yeung <gallium.arsenide@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 10:36 AM Patrik Schindler <poc@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Am 04.03.2020 um 16:18 schrieb Jim Franz <franz9000@xxxxxxxxx>:

I need to archive many thousands of source members in a way that is
searchable and easy to view.

If you have a UNIX system, you have all tools you need: Grep for
searching and More for viewing. Or are you talking about a solution for a
Desktop OS (aka Windows)?

Note that Windows already comes with the `findstr` command, which is
mostly analogous to `grep`. On top of that, there are plenty of
options for making your Windows PC virtually as Linux-like as you
want, notably including the "Windows Subsystem for Linux" (a standard
part of any up-to-date Windows 10). So all the familiar Unix or Linux
commands, as well as a genuine Bash shell, are available on Windows if
you want them.

I'm not completely sure how much, if any, "installation" is involved
in getting Bash to work on Windows. I've seen some guides on the
Internet mentioning that you can install whatever Linux you want in
the subsystem. Honestly, it doesn't matter much to me, and I don't
personally recommend it, because I think most people who aren't
already savvy with Unix/Linux would be better served not trying to
make their PC more Linux-like but rather embrace the vast ecosystem of
Windows-native or multiplatform tools (many of them free) available
for download, such as various GUI wrappers for grep functionality. I
think even some Unix gurus would actually find the various grep GUIs
more comfortable and easier to use than command-line variants.

John Y.