On 10/9/2015 3:46 PM, Nathan Andelin wrote:

I can't figure out what the business value IBM is getting by taking on
the maintenance / support / documentation / distribution burden of
custom IBM i forks of popular OSS projects, versus an alternative of
modifying PASE to simply compile and run them as-is (after configure,
make, make install)?

The business value began with the success of Apache based HTTP server for
IBM i. It got another jump-start with their partnership with Zend. One
thing leads to another.

What's the business value between:
V5R3: enhance PASE to be full featured
V5R4: maintain PASE
6.1: maintain PASE
7.1: maintain PASE
7.2: maintain PASE
+1: maintain PASE

and
V5R3: custom build Apache HTTP server for i
V5R4: maintain limited PASE, maintain HTTP
6.1: maintain PASE, maintain HTTP
7.1: maintain PASE, maintain HTTP, custom Node.js
7.2: maintain PASE, maintain HTTP, custom Node.js, custom Python
+1: maintain PASE, maintain HTTP, maintain Node.js, maintain Python,
custom Octave

Now substitute 'expense' for 'value' above and I think my thoughts are
expressed better. There's definitely value for IBM to offer Apache et
al, but the expense that they incur to do so could be lower if they'd
enhance PASE and build a bog-standard Apache and distribute THAT instead
of the slightly weird cousin of the Apache that runs everywhere else.

An additional benefit, beside bragging rights (Comes with GNU! Runs
more than ten thousand packages from Sourceforge and Github!) is that
PASE would indeed run many thousands of projects; it might be nice if I
could - on my own - download a tarball and try one out. I'd personally
like to run R because I have a lot of big data that I end up downloading
and crunching on my PC. There are many more horses in my Power 8...
https://cran.r-project.org/#doc

Lately IBM i has broaden its appeal to a new type of "developer", as
opposed to trying to serve a largely stagnant and shrinking enclave of cult
RPG III programmers.

Here then is the question: Is OP part of that target developer cohort,
or is the Unix ISV that target? I think that PASE is currently targeted
toward the latter. I happen to think it would be very cost effective if
IBM were to enhance PASE to the point where - out of the box - PASE
would serve the needs of the former as well.