  • Subject: Re: Why can't a 620-2175 be directly upgraded to an 820-2435?
  • From: Pat Barber <mboceanside@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 15:03:06 -0400

In many cases, an "upgrade" is physically impossible, but IBM retains
the right to use the word "upgrade" for anything that "changes" the
processor. This includes, changing the CPU,controller,disk drives,
communications, etc. A 530 "could" upgrade to to 6XX box, but it was
mostly looks, since you really got a new box. This has "legal" mumbo
jumbo attached to that that allows you to keep the same serial number.

There are many technical criteria for most upgrades and in some cases,
they include switching the entire box out. Because their tech stuff
changes so rapidly, I am surprised they can even do "any" upgrade.

PCI techology changed everything after the 400/500 series. Now the
new fiber links will cause even more changes. The  x50 & x70 series
is another case of "funky" upgrades. You can only upgrade in the
family, and not up to the next box. This is truly a marketing thing.

This has been the "way" since the box came out in 1988.

So the answer to your question is "yes" and "no" and "maybe"...