  • Subject: RE: Is Ops Navigator slow for others too?
  • From: "Brendan Bispham" <midrangel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 19:20:10 +0100

Comprehensive reply... see comments...

> Do they think it should be written in a Platform Neutral language(ie Java)
> ?  YES !
> Are they doing that?  I think so.

I hope so, too.

> They walk away thinking the AS/400 is a "Modern" machine.
> I then go back to the green screen command line and go back to work!

I have done the same with other CA features and you're right, it's fun to
shatter their preconceptions...

> Now then,   Does Rochester have a myopic view of "Lights Out" batch CL
> programs doing system type stuff(configs, subsystems, etc) ?  They Have
> had.
>
> Are they going to create any new CL Commands ?   I wouldn't put much money
> down on that one.  Will they provide an alternative "Batch
> Program" type of
> function?  I would put money down on that one.  Can you say scripting
> language of some sort? API's ??

now this is the crucial point...

We agree GUIs wont do everything - in the same way that a single command
CFGCMN with thousands of parameters cant do everything - without being a
complete mess.

Every GUI needs a macro/scripting function, that has to be typed in, which
defeats the objective of the GUI.

Until IBM adopt VBScript as their Command-Language of choice, it will have
to be a CL or CL derivative.

I suggest if you decide to support Oops Nav for system config, then you
support a set of 'Wizards', that can be adapted with CL command scripts.

The advantages would be that there's a GUI for novices, a CL script to be
altered and sent to client/remote sites to double-click and (the same) CL
commands for those who have to get their hands dirty when things go wrong.