  • Subject: RE: Is Ops Navigator slow for others too?
  • From: "Mark Beihoffer" <markbeihoffer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 17:25:13 GMT

jpcarr@TREDEGAR.COM wrote:

>I for one show Ops Nav first when a 20-something  young (or UPPER
>MANAGEMENT, can you say PHB?) person wants to see what this AS/400 thing
>is.

I'm one of those 20-something youngsters you are referring to, and I just
want to say this; with Linux and the BSDs taking hold in the enterprise
(especially in Europe, but North America to a lesser extent) the concept of
a GUI as being a "modern" necessity is fading.

For example, I am running OpenBSD 2.7 on my home server, and I don't have X
windows, KDE, GNOME, or anything else cluttering it up. It's all
command-line, and for running a server I prefer it that way. It needs less
resources and crashes less. If I want to do graphical development (design,
etc) I will use a graphical OS.

That said, I have been using a combination of Ops Navigator, command-line
FTP from my Unix system, QSH, and the CL/menu system to actually get this
AS/400 web project done; I'm glad there are options. Interesting discussion!

-Mark Beihoffer
aka dragonfly_blue
http://www.dragonflydynamix.com