Joe,

With due respect, and understanding that you are more involved with EGL
than most, I find it hard to believe that many RPG shops are really
USING egl. Interest is there, certainly, but I have yet to see anyone
using it for more than proof of technology projects.

Just for the record, here's my opinion on EGL. I've taken the EGL
foundation course and the RUI course, and recognize the utility of the
product. I'm impressed with its capabilities, and have fallen in love
with RUI. This product has huge potential, and I expect to see it grow
once IBM releases the community edition.

But, there's still a lot of slop in the product. Take the last call for
help for example. Calling QCMDEXC via JT400 in Tomcat... How many days
did it take to confirm that it just didn't work as expected? This
should have been a trivial exercise, that any i shop would be expected
to use a great deal. I believe IBM needs to develop i-specific training
and support if they want to bring us along.

Here's what's happened to me since we bought our first license for
Rdi-SOA:
1) Installed from CD, but update packages did not recognize my base
package Ids, so I could never update.
2) Installation of Rdi updates without applying egl updates hosed the
whole package (JVM update issue), requiring reinstall.
3) Finally get things working at RBD 7.5.1.1, but missing features (Site
Navigation) forced another update to 7.5.1.2
4) Even after update, site navigation still did not show up for projects
touched by an earlier release, forcing me to start from scratch (again).

This was just the lead in to the EGL foundation course. Not really
satisfying, imo. We hired a Java programmer to help up move forward
with EGL...

Jmo,
-Eric