Re: Guest Partition OS Requirements on Power8

fixed

Of course 'It Depends' :-)

We see a rather consistent 0.1 POWER7 core in use with 48 Guest partitions and two iSCSI xSeries attached. These are mostly VERY lightly used but not all of them. We have 0.2 processor allocated uncapped to 2 cores for busy times.

Our IBM i host is doing ONLY Disk virtualization. Since we needed NPIV for tape we also tapped VIOS for network virtualization as well.

On many other machines with IBM i host 0.1 CPU allocated uncapped to 1 core seems to work nicely. These environments are two to five IBM i guest partitions all with Internal storage and most of these cases IBM i is also handling network I/O and tape too.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.frankeni.com
www.iDevCloud.com
www.iInTheCloud.com