Sue / Rob,

Am I correct that if the tape library was SAS attached as opposed to fiber, then it could be virtualized, Rob I believe this is your config.
From a performance standpoint, I've always opted with fiber over SAS attached.

From a future roadmap viewpoint, what are the options available for tape virtualization, fiber or SAS?

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Sue Baker
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 9:20 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Guest Partition OS Requirements on Power8

"Steinmetz, Paul" <PSteinmetz@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote on Sat, 10 May
2014 22:39:33 GMT:

What are the IBM I virtualization options (host and/or guest) for
fiber attached tape, 577D?

At the present time, fibre attached tape (577D is the CCIN for feature 5735) cannot be virtualized by IBM i to any i client.

DLPARing the adapter from one partition to another is still a reasonable way to go for fibre attached tape. I used to do this on our systems by sending SSH commands to the HMC from my batch job stream.

IBM Americas Advanced Technical Sales Support (ATS) Power Systems Rochester, MN
or email: MIDRANGE-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives at