The many lpars to one volume may make sense if:
- You are not doing any SAVSYS
- You have a large enough window of save.

For example, with a fiber option SAN switch and each lpar having their own
connection to it and multiple tape drives in our tape library we can back
up multiple lpars at once. Limited mainly by the number of tape drives in
the library. Saving many lpars to one tape volume would require some
coordination.
But I could see where only sending one tape to Iron Mountain instead of
five every day would significantly reduce the number of tape volumes
required. Instead of
14 levels of retention by 5 daily tapes,
6 levels of retention by 5 weekly saves
We could cut that down by perhaps 1/5th.