We do very limited append. We have maybe two tapes total that are
'permanent'. These are year end saves of two archive libraries. We did
have to put them into their own pool. (Hey, you're starting to sink
in...) Putting them into their own 'media class' was really the only way
to ensure that it appended on to the right tape. SAVLIBBRM doesn't allow
you to specify a volume id.

We do not dup any saves. I can see the advantage of that. Send a copy
offsite and keep a copy on site. Therefore you don't have the delay of
getting the tape back when doing a restore. That's one reason why many
people are going to virtual tape libraries. Actually we do dupe that year
end archive. But that's not for local/remote. That's because it's the
only copy and we don't want the risk of one tape going bad.