We are at V7.1 , TR7 and have had BRMS *base and network feature installed
for many years and are now ready to look at using this to replace our
current clp backups.
We have 5 lpars for (production, development, Lotus domino, http, web
portal)
We use tape unit TS3200 3573-LU4, It has 3 separate drives and we use LTO5
media.

Our current bar code scheme separates the lpars by
PR - production , DV - Development , ML - Domino Mail, WW - Http, IT -
Web Portal

We load our required tapes daily. I do NOT see us leaving the tapes in the
tape library as we have a fireproof safe on site and move our full saves
and weekly off site to iron mountain.

Questions:
1. In using the network feature can I still have it set up to do specific
lpar saves to the desired bar code ranges separately ? (PR, DV, ML, WW, IT)
even if they use shared media pool ?
2. In a network BRMS is all the database info of all 5 lpars stored on 1
lpar ? pros/cons ?
3. Currently the tape unit is set up in random mode we just load 3 tapes
into the required drives. Our production lpar has Drive 1 configured only
to it. Drive 2 is shared between ML Domino and WW (http) lpars and Drive 3
shared lpars DV development and IT web portal) Does BRMS handle the
sharing of the drives as long as the backups run at different times ?
Curious as to how the vary off and on happens as I currently handle that in
my CLP pgms)
3. Does anyone use save files in BRMS ? We currently do in our backup pgms
to use for ftp to development lpar to refresh data libraries and our weekly
tape goes off site so if someone happens to need restore for that day we
have it here in savf and don't have to get Iron mtn to return. Pros/Cons
to save files in brms ?
4. Would the implementation path be to do 1 lpar at a time so we can test
first then look towards the network feature once all 5 are in BRMS ?
5. Would there be still value in using BRMS with a stand alone tape
methodology rather than using the network feature ?

Looking forward to using the UNattended Save 21 on a monthly basis and
hoping to look at the Lotus Domino save while active feature.

Any comments and tips to start down a good strategy/implementation path
would be very much appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance,

Laura

This communication, including all attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential, personal and / or privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient or a person responsible for delivering this message to an intended recipient, please contact us immediately so we may correct our records. Please then delete or destroy the original transmission and any subsequent reply.