Paul,

We do use the STRBALBRM to balance volumes between lpars. It is true that
even if you're doing a save in a restricted state, and it needs to borrow
a volume from another lpar it will start just enough TCP/IP to ask the
other lpar's permission. Our problem was what if the other lpar was down
at the same time? It can still shift around as needed when both systems
are up but it helps if a system is down. It also helps us remember how
many tapes to load and why. This lpar takes x per week, that lpar takes
y, etc.