From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 10:29 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: BRMS Backup Strategy and Implementation

Only 6 volumes total? How many does your library hold?
Our library holds over 50 volumes. We load up a weeks worth at a time.
Actually 6 'run' days. We back up 5 days a week. The advantage to this is it will still back up when the office is closed due to holidays or snow emergencies. Our library also has 18 I/O slots but don't let the number of I/O slots limit you. We only run the *BALANCE once a week. Yes, we remove the daily tapes every day but we only load new tapes once a week.

If you really are truly limited to 6 volumes, and you want two for one and
4 for the other, then you should run the *SETs separately. One for 2 and one for 4. But if your library holds a weeks worth then do a *SET for (5
* 2) for the one and (5 * 4) for the other. Replace 5 by the number of days of the week you back up.

You're not still trying to trick the system to use certain volumes on certain days of the week, are you?