Other than the potential catastrophic loss of data if your save turns out
to be worthless this is better than an unload/reload, why?

I would like to think that I could have performed an unload/reload faster.
Ok longer outage time. But a development lpar, done over a weekend,
could stand that. As it was I had to have two outages, one to remove the
raid striping, and then another IPL because the system wouldn't drop the
old disks from the configuration.

And I'd surely love to see these message disappear from CHKASPBAL
CPI18A3-Unit 15 is selected for end allocation.
But the way IBM explained it to me is that during a STRASPBAL it marks the
new drives as in this state to balance all new writes to the old drives
and not make the new disks "hot" by having all new writes pile up on these
drives only.

After how many days/weeks it takes to complete this balancing I plan on
doing a TRCASPBAL and then a STRASPBAL, this time with *USAGE instead of

I realize that first sentence could be interpreted as "Other than that,
Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?".