OK First off the base controller in a 170 will only support 4 drives and no RAID. Since Mirroring is done by OS/400 you can still do that. So if you want to add the 7102, a good idea in my opinion, then you'll need a RAID card just to have a place to connect the 7102. (FC #2726, 2740, 2741, or 2748 in increasing order of preference.)

For RAID on any of those cards you'll need a minimum of four drives of each size to be RAIDed.
For MIRROR you'll need them to be in pairs.
For either they need to match by size, not exact feature code. So you could have an 8 GB 7200 RPM (FC #6713) and an 8GB 10K RPM (FC #6717) and they will mirror OK, or a mix of four of these and they will RAID OK.

If you want to get rid of the 8GB Drive and just use 4's you can migrate the data with STRASPBAL. and DST. Of course you'll need the system at 60% or less full to get that drive out if you don't put on the 7102.

If you want to go to all 8GB Drives you'll need to do a load source migration to migrate what's on the 4GB Unit to a replacement 8GB Unit.

Twer it me, I'd add a RAID card, the 7102, 1 4GB Drive 3 to 5 8GB Drives, Start RAID and Add all units to the ASP.

- Larry

Douglas W. Palme wrote:
We have a 170 which has never had mirroring or parity.  I know that in order
to add it, we will have to add a raid controller card, which is not a
problem.  Our problem lies in the fact that this particular machine only has
three drives currently installed.  (2) 4GB drives and (1) 8GB.

I know that the data is shared across all three drives so my question is,
without having to do a complete reload, is there a way for us to replace
these drives in a systematic manner and add in raid ?

We have a 7102 which is not currently attached but can be if that will help
us in this project....

Suggestions on how best to do this....