From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of kirkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, November 05, 2006 11:29 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Adding parity and mirroring to a 170

You need even numbers of the same size drives for mirroring. The base
(low-end) controller that might be found in a 170 will support mirroring but
NOT Raid5.  Your plan is probably the simplest to do. That is add the
expansion and more drives. Today I would just add 3 more 8's and the
expansion.

Another option that would probably be better to do is this...No expansion
needed

I'm assuming the Loadsource is a 4gb drive If  your current card doesn't
support Raid5, Replace it (they are cheap these days) Place a new 8gb in the
4th slot and use DST to copy the loadsource to it.
Pull the loadsource out and place the new 8gb in it's place.
Now use DST to remove the other 4gb drive which will migrate all the data
off of it.
Replace it with and 8gb add the 4th 8gb drive.
Build Raid5 and then add them to the ASP.

If the loadsource is an 8gb then...
Add one 8gb to the ASP
Use DST to  logically remove the two 4gb drives Replace then with 8s, add
the 4th 8gb Add to the ASP and build Raid5

_____________________
Kirk Goins
Systems Engineer, Manage Inc.
IBM Certified in i5 Solution Sales,
i5 Technical Solutions Expert V5R4,
iSeries Multiple Systems Administrator V5R3, Systems Expert - i5 LPAR
Technical Solutions V5R3

Office 503-353-1721 x106 Cell 503-577-9519
kirkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx   www.manageinc.com

Email Response Times:
Same Day Maybe, Next Day Probably

"Douglas W. Palme" <dpalme@xxxxxxxxxxx> Sent by:
midrange-l-bounces+kirkg=manageinc.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
11/05/2006 09:01 PM
Please respond to

"'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: Adding parity and mirroring to a 170

So if I am to understand you correctly, adding the 7102 expansion unit,
all
I have to do to add mirroring is add another 2 4gb drives and 1 more 8 and
will be able to mirror them out correct?  Or do they ALL need to be the
same
size?