  • Subject: Re: TCP/IP Printing to an IP Address and Port
  • From: pault@xxxxxxxxx (Paul Tykodi)
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 11:52:17 -0500

Dear Midrange-l,

Recently there have been some posts to midrange-l that have explained the
basics of TCP/IP sockets programming. This functionality of the TCP/IP
environment is roughly equivalent to the APPC functionality of IBM's SNA
environment. When TCP/IP print server documentation mentions a particular port
address, it is being provided to help customers that use TCP/IP sockets based
applications to spool printed output to a printer. Since not all print
applications in a TCP/IP environment may use sockets, the typical TCP/IP print
server will also have each of its output ports linked to an internal print
queue. Usually these queues have names like pr1, pr2, etc. You can print the
print server configuration page to see which internal print server queues are
servicing which physical printer attachments (example pr3 might be the queue
servicing the serial port of the print server).

To date, the CISC based AS/400's only allow you to specify a print queue as a
target when creating your remote output queue. The parameter that needs to be
edited when executing CRTOUTQ is called Remote printer queue. The default value
is *USER. This needs to be changed to the target internal print server queue
name that you want the AS/400 to use on the print server servicing the printer
you are defining. Syntax (capital versus small letter) is very important. Small
letters must be included inside apostrophe's in order for the AS/400 to
maintain the proper syntax. For a print server that can have multiple printers
attached to it, you will need to build a series of AS/400 output queue's that
have the same IP address but a different Remote printer queue value in order to
reach all of the printers attached to the print server.

RISC AS/400's at operating system level V3R7 and beyond offer a possibility to
define a printer with a device class of *LAN which uses a TCP/IP sockets
implementation to move data from the AS/400 to the printer. To date, this
implementation has been specifically created to service certain types of laser
printers. Further information about how to configure this AS/400 device class
can be found on the AS/400 website at URL:

http://as400service.rochester.ibm.com/as4sde/sline002.nsf/bd5e285ae137157c862562890013343e2b7cc5986e28625649900657c0d?OpenDocument

HTH

/Paul
--
Paul Tykodi, Technical Director                 E-mail: pault@praim.com
Praim Inc.                                           Tel: 603-431-0606