Walmart.com has been migrated to node.

“Over the course of the last year, Walmart.com — a site that handles 80 million monthly visitors and offers 15 million items for sale — migrated to React and Node.js. In the process of this transition, the WalmartLabs team built Electrode, a React-based application platform to power Walmart.com. It’s now open sourcing this platform.”
https://techcrunch.com/2016/10/03/walmartlabs-open-sources-the-application-platform-that-powers-walmart-com/

At 4 minutes 25 seconds into the linked talk (https://vimeo.com/180426333), Alex Grigoryan explains why Walmart migrated to node:

"So we were currently on Handlebars, Java and Backbone. And we really wanted a lot more scale. We wanted to leverage a lot more requests per second, be more performant, we wanted our developers to be a lot more productive, and we're going through those numbers later on in the presentation. And most of all we wanted reusability. We wanted the ability to leverage components across different brands."

You can also find articles about node success stories at large companies here:

· https://nodesource.com/blog/how-massive-companies-use-node-js-at-scale/

· https://www.netguru.co/blog/top-companies-used-nodejs-production

· https://www.brainvire.com/the-success-story-of-5-retailers-that-have-embraced-node-js/

There are also complaints about node:
https://www.infoworld.com/article/3153225/javascript/nodejs-success-exposes-its-weaknesses.html
But these complaints are not about node performing poorly. They have more to do with having a lot of modules to choose between, dependencies between modules, and security of the modules and the apps being written. Also, getting from hello world to mastery can be trickier than anticipated.

Look, if people don’t want to use node, then don’t use node. If people want to think node is slow or doesn’t have a proven record of good performance at high levels of concurrency, then feel free to think node is slow and doesn’t have good performance. I’m not here to change your minds.

I plan to take my future discussions of node to the Midrange.com OpenSource list. I several people on this list also on that list. I’m not looking for a new crowd. The OpenSource list just seems to have a higher percentage of discussions about node on the IBM i. There are probably a lot of people on this list using PHP, CGI and other technologies that are sick to death of all the node posts here. Sorry about that.

Thanks,

Kelly Cookson
IT Project Leader
Dot Foods, Inc.