Nathan,

You may have already done this, but before you make a final decision, I
would recommend that you download and try some of these solutions. Most
have at least a trial period product that you can download and use. If
you want to try java, use the WDSCi client and try out the development
environment.

We use JSP & servlets on a portion of our website, but our more robust
applications are coded using RPG and the RPGsp tool. I have tried the
cgidev model and quite frankly, I hated it. In my opinion, it is slower
in development and harder to debug. The RPGsp tool lets me view my code
in WYWSIG, html&rpg code together, or with the rpg code isolated. I can
debug from inside the IDE. Using the wizards, I can create a simple
application in a minute or two. A more complex application (like this
one http://www.collincountytx.gov/rsp-bin/pbkr125.pgm) which pulls
together wide combinations of data can be done in a few hours.

In respect to application maintenance, RPGsp is the hands down winner,
despite the recompile. Pop it open, make your change, press the compile
button, your done. I can change from development, to test, to production
environments with a couple clicks of the mouse. Product support is
excellent.

We have written about 18 complete applications comprising around 700
programs using the tool for both our internet and intranet sites and
could not be happier with another product.

As for speed, I'm more concerned about development time than response
time in general, but we replaced our Java servlet case lookup with the
RPGsp version because the CGI application is faster. I cannot speak to
Joe's model of a jsp page to a rpg backend, because we never tried it.
The idea seems good, but I wonder if I would not have the same hate for
it that I do for the template model.

That's my opinion on things, but I'm just a dumb ol' country boy who has
never written a book or published an article in an industry rag. I just
hoe my row.

Bryan Yates
SR Systems Analyst/Programmer
Information Technology