On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 4:35 PM, Buck Calabro <kc2hiz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The people who have problems are real, so how can one explain the
dramatic difference between my experience and theirs? My pet theory is
a site-specific combination of hardware, drivers, and anti-virus, but
it's an ugly pet at best :-/

Just to underscore the variability of user experience, using a
non-WDSC-related example (so veering a little off-topic), one of the
most stable PCs I have ever owned was a Windows Me machine from Dell.
It kind of boggled my mind when I found out that Me was widely
considered the worst, buggiest Windows ever. I had a friend who also
had a good experience with his Me machine, but it seems like we must
have been the only two. Around that time my dad bought a PC from a
lesser-known budget brand which had Windows 98, and he was rebooting
his machine constantly.

My conclusion back then was that there must be some complex interplay
of hardware, drivers, antivirus, and perhaps other software, that made
these things maddeningly unpredictable.

John Y.