On 8/19/2016 12:20 PM, dlclark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:
David L Clark/it/crp/WinWholesale wrote on 08/19/2016 12:04:14 PM:
"WDSCI-L" <wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 08/19/2016 11:50:22
AM:
The only steps I took to do this were to closedown Eclipse on their
machine, copy the jar file to the plugin directory and then restart
Eclipse.
As it's not showing at all on their configuration plugin tab...

Just guessing (as I have not done it before), but I would think you
would have to do more to "install" an Eclipse plugin that simply
copy the JAR file to the plugin directory. I would think it would
have to at least also be "registered" somehow to Eclipse.

In fact, I found the following comment on the Internet.

Never, never, never... install anything directly in plugins/ It will not
be picked up by Eclipse automatically and - even more importantly - all
the usual update functionality does not work for these "dropped" plug-ins.
If you absolutely must add anything "by hand" do it in dropins/... – Tonny
Madsen

I found other comments that said you need to export from one
machine and then import on the other machine.

Everything I know is learnt by doing. I wasn't able to find the tablets
of stone for plug-ins (which means I'm a failure at looking, not that
someone hasn't provided).
As near as I can tell, Eclipse looks in its plug-in directory at
startup and loads the JARs it finds. That's all the registration I've
ever done. In my case on Win 7 it is: C:\Program Files\IBM\SDP\plugins

I completely agree that doing it this way makes it impossible to update
'normally'. My RDi 9.5.0.2, based on Eclipse 4.4.2 does not have a
'/dropins' folder. That doesn't mean I shouldn't /make/ one. It means
that to date, after several years of doing it this way, I haven't
/needed/ one.

Do you have a link which explains how to make a true plug-in, with
features and an update site and all that for Eclipse 4.4? I'd love to
learn how to do it the approved way! I'm not asking you to search for
me, only if you've got one in front of you! :-)