From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Daron Whitehouse
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2013 8:39 AM
To: Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client for System i & iSeries
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] Debugging program with multiple users

I too feel your pain Ken. How many people in your environment still have the Shelly/Cashman RPGII book on hand, RPG template, and 132 column printer ruler on hand? I have 2 developers working for me and one still has those. That's 33% of my developer population when counting myself.

I enjoy reading your comments and praise for RDi and the trials you struggle with as being and advocate for better tooling. The IBM is capable of so much more than what most are aware of. But then again those people don't follow this resource - and others - on the web. I'm baffled why a developer would not devour Infocenter for the latest BIFs with each release or Technology Refresh. In my opinion, not doing so is equivalent to saying "I'm just a hack, not a professional".

I wonder what your manager thinks about the usefulness of RDi. As a manager myself having used Visual Studio and eclipse for java, I was ecstatic to learn we had access to WDSC v6.0 back in 2004(ish) and I made it mandatory to learn, use and (attempt) to fully utilize the wealth of productively tools in RDi. It's been a struggle to get indentation and case standards in free format as a common practice. SQL has been another challenge, especially so with our 20+ year old legacy ERP application with its cryptic database names and prolific use of Native I/O. Most who only have been exposed to RPG have a challenge using free format and sub procedure concepts. As most everyone here can attest, being exposed and using other languages greatly increases ones eagerness to adopt the new RPG features.

It's good to have everyone here sharing the wealth and pushing our favorite platform along to those who are trailing behind.

Good luck with pushing management to stay current with support for RDi and enlightening the rest of your team. If nothing else, it will happen through attrition as new talent comes on board. Hopefully that will be with the IBM i team and not the .Net team. Does your .Net folks code SQL for you DB2 for IBM I data in the applications or use stored procedures?

-Daron

Daron Whitehouse
Systems and Programming Manager
Madico Inc
64 Industrial Parkway
Woburn,MA 01801
781-935-7850 X-196
dwhitehouse@xxxxxxxxxx
www.madico.com

Notice of Confidentiality

This e-mail and any attachments thereto are intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may be proprietary and/or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email, and any attachments thereto, without the prior written permission of the sender is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please immediately telephone or email the sender and permanently delete the original copy and any copy of this mail, and any printout thereof.

The contents of an attachment to this email may contain software viruses that could damage your own computer system. While Madico has taken every reasonable precaution to minimize this risk, we cannot accept liability for any damage that you sustain as a result of software viruses. You should carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.