Aaron Bartell wrote:

Webfacing is most definitely a modernization strategy! It was simply meant
as a stepping stone part of the modernization strategy to get to the
endpoint that we both agree on to be Java.

The hard work is not the display interface: graphics people can do those in a trice. The hard work is going to be extracting out the business logic and parameterising it so it can be called from a stateless, modeless application like a browser, JDBC, or as an API from RPG.

The business logic is often an intimate part of this kind of loop:
CHAIN
DO
EXFMT
...validate
...if error, ITER
UPDATE
END

Imagine being able to call the [validate] code from any other program in the system and you start to get a feel for the assumptions that cannot be discovered by a tool.

Webfacing offers a stepping stone only if the staff learn Java and Javascript; only if they start turning their business logic into callable APIs which they use from RPG as well as other interfaces (XML import/export?)
--buck