Aaron Bartell wrote:
How can we as IBM i professionals make decisions for our organization's
longterm success when IBM is continually stabilizing their different
modernization strategies, and thus only allowing for short-term success?
I'm only going to do this once, because the tone of this conversation is already way too far in the negative, but it still needs at least one response.

Webfacing was never a modernization strategy. IBM has always pointed you towards application re-engineering, primarily through rewriting to Java. That's IBM's strategy, always has been. However, we in the midrange industry have resisted that for years, primarily because RPG is a better language than Java for business development.

But because green screen is simply unacceptable in the end user community - and really, has been since the late 1980's, the heyday of the screen scrapers - we've had a strained relationship with the users. Once the one hand, we have powerful applications with subsecond response time, on the other hand our screens are ugly even though we try to gussy them up with fancy DDS keywords and other "lipstick on the pig" approaches.

There has been a distinct and consistent voice in the industry to decouple business logic and presentation. This has been going on for at least 20 years now, and has been largely unheeded by the community. Instead, they've used the various quick fixes - screen scraping, webfacing - to prolong the life of their applications. The business reasons have usually been the same - why fix what's not broken, what is the bottom line, screen scraping is "good enough". Couple that with some whizbang demos and a few well placed whispers, and any attempt at true modernization falls by the wayside.

Was IBM wrong to provide them with tools to do this? I don't know. But I don't know of anybody who has ever credibly pitched HATS or WebFacing as a strategic modernization approach. Yes, there might be some people who try, but some people pitch moving to Windows as a modernization approach. At that point, it's all about the benjamins.

Anyway, to get to my point: the modernization approach has ALWAYS been to move to Java. The biggest pushback against that outside our community is the complexity of getting even simple things done in Java, and that's what EGL does: it removes the complexities of the plumbing and the OO and gets you right into programming. And the pushbakc within our community is that nothing outperforms RPG, but EGL works there too, in that it provides a multi-tiered approach allowing you to use the best tools for each later: Java for presentation, RPG for business logic.

You, Aaron, personally rebel against the multi-language approach, so this may not appeal to you. Luckily, my clients don't agree with you; most of them realize that the days of a single language are just as gone as the days of the 5250. The future is multi-lingual, multi-tiered, multi-interface, multi-platform, and the fastest way to get there is EGL.

Joe