That's why I personally consider HTML opcodes in RPG to be a bad answer;

I don't think that has ever been the RPG development teams answer or goal.
As I understand it they are looking to create a "decoupled" opcode that
would have zero ties to a specific UI implementation but instead would offer
up an interface feature set that would allow for growth as new UI
technologies come about. I would imagine it is very similar to the way EGL
has been architected to support todays UI technologies, but leave pleanty of
room for growth for tomorrow.

when in reality they need to rewrite them into true message-based servers.

Correct me if I am wrong, but you are confusing bad programming style that
you have seen from RPG programmers and thus labeling it as a bad language to
use for passing records/messages back and forth? EGL most likely provides a
better foundation for keeping tiers separate, but it could just as easily be
labeled with a bad mantra if programmers choose to implement it
inappropriately - correct?

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com