On 29 November 2017 at 19:59, John R. Smith, Jr.
<smith5646midrange@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I looked on Scott's website. I can only find JDBC examples. Unless the
customer is wrong, I need an ODBC example that is writing on the iSeries.

The reports seem... fluid. The customer could end the suspense by
simply giving you a copy of their code to examine, compile, and test
against.

I do not know what Program B's activation group is but I do know two
things...
1) There is no way it matches the activation group of Program A.

Customers can be ingenious.
DSPPGM PROGRAM_A
CRTPGM PROGRAM_B ACTGRP(see_above)

2) I can't make our customers change the activation group of every program
they want to put in our tool.

There's CAN NOT and PREFER NOT. Companies document limitations /
restrictions / requirements all the time. The bigger problem is that
you don't yet understand the mechanism that needs to be restricted :-(
That's not a slam - remote diagnosis through a third party is made of
yuck.

If we've eliminated the activation group as an influence, Kevin has a
good working hypothesis. If the customer program is using CLI server
mode, and you are determined to handle even that scenario, it seems to
me that you are going to need to spin off the JOB_END() function from
being called inside PROGRAM_A to being fired as an external event, say
running in a NEP, reading DTAQ messages.

You can read more about server mode:
https://www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/software/i/db2/support/tips/clifaq.html
http://ibmsystemsmag.com/blogs/i-can/archive/subsystem-configuration-for-sql-server-mode-jobs/
http://ibmsystemsmag.com/blogs/i-can/archive/i-can-find-sql-server-mode-jobs/