Activation groups can be weird. I've had similar issues before although it's been a few years.

If both programs run in the same activation group, Program B can mess with connections possibly needed by Program A.

Could re-compile Program A or B to run in a new activation group possibly. Actgrp(*NEW)

I'm also guessing programs are created with CRTSQLRPG or CRTSQLRPGI.

These two compiler parms could possibly have some effect:

Close SQL cursor . . . . . . . .CLOSQLCSR
RDB connect method . . . . . . .RDBCNNMTH (This one looks potentially suspect)

Keep in mind this is an educated guess without seeing your programs and without using RPG and embedded SQL daily 😊

Anyone else here using RPG and embedded SQL daily might be able to back up or debunk my response.......

Regards,

Richard Schoen
Director of Document Management
e. richard.schoen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
p. 952.486.6802
w. helpsystems.com

message: 1
date: Sun, 26 Nov 2017 15:51:29 -0500
from: "John R. Smith, Jr." <smith5646midrange@xxxxxxxxx>
subject: RE: SQL with connections to multiple databases

I can only answer 2 of those 3 questions.

Program B always works. It is when control is returned back to program A and program A tries to update a record that we have a problem.

I don't know if program B closes the connections or now. We do not own program B, the customer does and we can't force all of our customers to do proper cleanup.

How would the activation affect this? I'm sure there is a ton that I do not understand on how programs play within groups.

***Also, one other important piece of info that I omitted is that when program A calls other "program B"s that do not do a remote connection, everything works correctly...program A is able to update the row in the database.