I was waiting for a little more info before posting again. Sorry for the
delay.

What I have found is the customer's Program B is doing an ODBC connection to
the DB2. It is not to a different database as was originally thought. The
customer said it was a remote database connection and I didn't question it.
I suppose it is also possible that it is a JDBC connection not an ODBC.

I know I can write a program on Windows or Unix that connects to DB2 via
ODBC but is there an ODBC driver that runs on the iSeries to allow an
iSeries program to connect to the DB2 that it is running on?

There is also a QSQSRVR job in the middle of this mess and the library
containing File1 is not in its library list.

The JOB_START function executes its update statement which completes
normally. There is no reference to the QSQSRVR job.
Program B opens a connection with the QSQSRVR job and uses it for its stuff.
The JOB_END function executes it's update statement but it uses the QSQSRVR
job for its connection and since the library containing File1 is not in its
library list, it fails.

If we replace the call to Program B with a DLYJOB command, everything works
correctly because the job is not opening the connection to the QSQSRVR job.

If I hardcode the library in the update statement, it bypasses the QSQSRVR
job. I don't like hardcoding so I'm pushing against this as a solution.

I'm guessing at this point that Program B is not cleaning up after itself
and is keeping the QSQSRVR connection open but as I said a while back, we
have to be able to handle "bad coding/lack of cleanup" by our customers
(that is not intended to be a slam because I often let the system clean up
after me instead of adding code to do it myself manually).

How do I get the job to disconnect from the QSQSRVR job before the update in
JOB_END?