On 29 November 2017 at 18:05, John R. Smith, Jr.
<smith5646midrange@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I know I can write a program on Windows or Unix that connects to DB2 via
ODBC but is there an ODBC driver that runs on the iSeries to allow an
iSeries program to connect to the DB2 that it is running on?

Yes. See Scott Klement's web page for one example.

I'm guessing at this point that Program B is not cleaning up after itself

It's the guessing part that makes this so hard. I've had success
working the problem from the other side; write an example that makes
it always behave this way. Simply thinking about how to write the
minimal example to demonstrate the situation has brought me to Aha!
about half the time. The other half, I've at least had code that
illustrates the problem. I have shown that code to my colleagues and
to the debugger :-) It sure beats the long feedback delay from the
customer.

How do I get the job to disconnect from the QSQSRVR job before the update in
JOB_END?

I didn't see if you tried Dieter's suggestion. Something like

PROGRAM_A AG(FIRST_AG)
callp JOB_START() in SRVPGM_S ACTGRP(*CALLER)
callp PROGRAM_I ACTGRP(ISOLATION)
call PROGRAM_B ACTGRP(???)
ODBC/JDBC/SQL CONNECT/something to DB2
return to PROGRAM_I
CONNECT / RCLACTGRP ISOLATE / ?????
return to PROGRAM_A
callp JOB_END() in SRVPGM_S ACTGRP(*CALLER)

With this model, PROGRAM_A and the service programs it uses all run in
ACTGRP(FIRST_AG).
PROGRAM_I and service programs _it_ uses all run in ACTGRP(ISOLATION)
Program_B runs in... we're guessing ACTGRP(*CALLER), and if true, it
will now run in ACTGRP(ISOLATION), which presumably has nothing but
CALL PROGRAM_B in it.

Good luck.
--buck