Most of the folks I know who “turned away” from RDI were basically coming from the WSDC and VisualAge RPG group. They put a ton of effort into moving towards integrated and new platform support, only to find their efforts harpooned by RDI with high cost and abandoned products.

They either moved on to ANSA or some similar product, or “put their grump on” and went back to maintaining and even writing code with SEU. This is especially true of guys from small companies that looked at spending the price of a small car for ANSA and so on, and figured it would be money better spent if they invested in faster machines with more resources.

I know I know, that sounds grumpy of me, but I hear it all the time when I share a cup of coffee with old friends. Hard to believe, but there is a very bitter segment of the ‘400 population out there that feels abandoned and left behind. Same is true of the mainframe world, but far less so.

-Paul