Douglas,

> Just the blinking attribute, some of them I have set with an indicator for
> testing purposes, but the one I'm working with right now is just set to Y
> with SDA, in the dds it has DSPATR(BL) but it only shows up as red, no
> blinking at all.

That is working as designed.  Originally, the 5250 data stream was
designed in the days of monochrome screens.  Within the display
attribute byte, five bits were set aside to indicate reverse image,
high intensity, underline, blink, and column separators.  Those could
be mixed and matched, except that non display was defined as any
combination including reverse image, high intensity, and underline.

When color displays came along, the 5250 data stream still only had 5
attribute bits to work with, so various combinations of bits were
mapped to various colors.  For example, a monochrome display set to
blink (only), maps to red (and no blinking) on a color display.  The
DDS manual should have a full explanation of all of them under the
Color() keyword for display files.

See
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/v5r1/ic2924/index.htm?info/rzakc/rzakcmst53.htm

There you will see that you can get a red, blinking field by
specifying both BL and HI, but a BL field only yieds a non-blinking
red color.

Doug