  • Subject: RE: E-mail notification from AS400
  • From: Scott Klement <klemscot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 10:56:52 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Stone, Brad V (TC) wrote:

> And there you go comparing a magazine industry to the entire linux
> community.  :)  Don't forget NGs, mailing lists, etc where a lot of the
> industry leaders do share for free.

Actually, I was just reiterating what I thought the thread was about, I
wasn't trying to compare anything.   My personal philosophy is that if
I like NGs/Mailing Lists better than magazines, that I should just use
the NGs/Mailing Lists and not buy the magazines.

Then, if everyone agrees with me, the magazines will go out of business.
Such is the nature of captalism.

> As Gary pointed out, maybe if IBM were to make the first step towards open
> source we would follow.  (I hope that's what he was suggesting, if not, I
> am).

Or even better, rather than just DROPPING support for things like CISC
machines, SEU, OfficeVision, etc -- they should release the code as open
source and let the community support them.

Then they can still make money on the things that they're still willing
to support without screwing over the people trying to use their products.

> Well, we were talking Linux. I know FreeBSD rivals OS400.  There's no
> argument there.

I thought we were talking about giving away products and support for free,
and that Linux was just an example that Hans cited?   If thats the case,
FreeBSD is also a valid comparison, since it is also free.

> > The web server, e-mail servers, and other internet related >
> > software on FreeBSD blows OS/400 away.
>
> Anything could blow OS400 mail servers away.  ;)  Internet, well, now with 3
> choices, one of them Apache that's pushing it.

With Apache on FreeBSD having its quirks and bugs worked out over the past
10 years, having all the security details worked on constantly over that
time, I'm pretty sure that its still able to compete with Apache on
OS/400.

And thats the only internet application where OS/400 even comes close.

> The database engine in OS/400 blows FreeBSD away.
>
> It blows any DB engine away.

Well -- at least we agree on that. :)

> > I could certainly see myself rewriting our order entry and inventory
> > apps and running them on FreeBSD.   I'm already rewriting some of our
> > work in process apps in FreeBSD, and am finding that they work well.
> > I wouldn't write them in python, though... I use C.
>
> Why not Java?

Java is slow.   Furthermore, I find object oriented code to be a bit
awkward, and a pain to debug.   This could be because I've been
programming too long -- but apparently others agree with me, since
I've yet to see a complete application written in Java.

If I wanted a cross-platform language, I think I'd pick Perl.

Can I turn the question back at you?   Why would you use Java?

> > I *hate* M$.  Windows does not work.  It is a broken piece of junk.
> > Now THATS the operating system I won't ever do anything
> > mission-critical in.  (Although, it seems like many people are
> > trying to FORCE ME to)
>
> Please.  Fire up linux.  Now, try something as simple as cut and paste
> between apps and terminal session.  Not an option?  Sure, something small,
> but it helps.  It just shows that while the apps may be stable, there is
> little attention to detail.

I have a machine running Linux at home.   I prefer FreeBSD to Linux, but
I'm weird.

Highlight some text with your mouse in your xterm.   Switch to another
application a click the middle mouse button.   You've just cut & pasted,
congratulations.

> I run linux and M$ at home.  To tell you the truth, they both are just as
> stable, linux edging out a little.  But usability, M$ wins hands down for
> me.  Its all in how you install and configure.  My PC at work is a
> deathtrap.  But my 3 win 9x pcs at home are as stable as a rock (yes, all
> networked as well).
>
> M$ is not junk piece of crap, it's just "cool" to say that.

Do you do programming on your Win9x PCs?   Have you ever made a mistake
and passed parms incorrectly to a Windows API?   Crash.   Have you ever
accidentally overwritten memory on a Windows machine?  Crash.

On OS/400, if you try to access memory outside of your job, the program
stops with a "pointer or parameter error".   The operating system keeps
on running.   You don't say to yourself "I bet something is screwed up,
I should reboot".   FreeBSD and Linux are the same way.   If one program
crashes, the rest of the machine remains stable.

In Windows however, one program crashes, it causes Explorer to get messed
up.   Then Explorer (part of windows!!) crashes.  Of course, the Windows
Kernel automatically restarts Explorer...   Now things aren't quite the
same.  When you attempt to shut down Windows, it doesn't shut down.

Or you boot up Windows and (before touching a key!) get a message that
says something like "Explorer caused an invalid page fault in
MSGSRV32.DLL".   So you reboot -- and presto everything is fine.
As a programmer, doesn't that worry you?!

> Now, my linux PC seemed to have a stupid bug that would throw it into a log
> archiving loop for ever, filling the HD and crashing it.  It took me 2
> months to figure out what was wrong and to fix it.
>
> Go to a linux NG, post a question.  You most likely won't get a response,
> and if you do it's RTFM or RTFFAQ.  You'll also see the ratio of questions
> to answers is 100:1.
>
> Brad

I can't say I've had a problem like that on Linux.   I guess I don't use
Linux that much, since I prefer FreeBSD.  In FreeBSD's case, however, I
find that questions are quickly answered if enough information is
provided.

The same can be said of commercial applications.  Some have good support,
some don't.

Brad, lest there be hard feelings, let me say that I've read some of your
work over the years, and I have a lot of respect for you.  I've enjoyed
many of your messages on these lists.

Please don't take my disagreement on many of these points as a lack of
respect for your opinion.