  • Subject: RE: E-mail notification from AS400
  • From: "Stone, Brad V (TC)" <bvstone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 07:20:10 -0600

> I think that this thread was specifically griping about messages that
> say "I wrote an article that explains this in News/400 in March" and
> then expecting the user to buy a subscription if they need the actual
> example.
>
> Gary's point of view was that the magazines can't give the source away
> for free because it costs money to run he magazine, pay the authors,
> run the web server, etc.
>
> Hans' point of view was that Linux and other open source products _do_
> give the stuff away, provide help, etc, for free.

I understand that.  Magazines first and foremost priority is to make money.
That's why we're seeing the trend for moving away from RPG and towards more
open subjects.  Not the best for subfile programmers looking for new tips,
but good for the $$.

And there you go comparing a magazine industry to the entire linux
community.  :)  Don't forget NGs, mailing lists, etc where a lot of the
industry leaders do share for free.

> To me, the biggest difference tends to be that the AS/400 people never
> want to do anything for free, and the open source community
> sees this as
> "keeping secrets", etc.    Other than that, they really aren't that
> different.  (I try to be active in both)

As Gary pointed out, maybe if IBM were to make the first step towards open
source we would follow.  (I hope that's what he was suggesting, if not, I
am).

> Why not?  If you buy server-quality hardware, the uptime is
> very good.
> I can't speak for Linux, but FreeBSD (also open-source) is the main
> operating system that I use for several different servers as
> well as my
> own desktop enviornment.   In my experience, the uptime
> between FreeBSD
> and OS/400 is comparable.

Well, we were talking Linux. I know FreeBSD rivals OS400.  There's no
argument there.

> The web server, e-mail servers, and other internet related
> software on
> FreeBSD blows OS/400 away.

Anything could blow OS400 mail servers away.  ;)  Internet, well, now with 3
choices, one of them Apache that's pushing it.

   The database engine in OS/400
> blows FreeBSD
> away.

It blows any DB engine away.

> I could certainly see myself rewriting our order entry and inventory
> apps and running them on FreeBSD.   I'm already rewriting some of our
> work in process apps in FreeBSD, and am finding that they work well.
> I wouldn't write them in python, though... I use C.

Why not Java?

> I *hate* M$.  Windows does not work.  It is a broken piece of junk.
> Now THATS the operating system I won't ever do anything
> mission-critical
> in.  (Although, it seems like many people are trying to FORCE ME to)

Please.  Fire up linux.  Now, try something as simple as cut and paste
between apps and terminal session.  Not an option?  Sure, something small,
but it helps.  It just shows that while the apps may be stable, there is
little attention to detail.

I run linux and M$ at home.  To tell you the truth, they both are just as
stable, linux edging out a little.  But usability, M$ wins hands down for
me.  Its all in how you install and configure.  My PC at work is a
deathtrap.  But my 3 win 9x pcs at home are as stable as a rock (yes, all
networked as well).

Now, my linux PC seemed to have a stupid bug that would throw it into a log
archiving loop for ever, filling the HD and crashing it.  It took me 2
months to figure out what was wrong and to fix it.

Go to a linux NG, post a question.  You most likely won't get a response,
and if you do it's RTFM or RTFFAQ.  You'll also see the ratio of questions
to answers is 100:1.

M$ is not junk piece of crap, it's just "cool" to say that.

Brad