For interactive programming the RPG cycle is a totally inappropriate
tool, like using a spanner to hammer
a nail, you get there in the end, but its not pretty and the code is
arcane and not easy to follow.

I still find the cycle useful for reports that use control breaks, but
hardly no one understands the code
anymore.  Can you tell me the difference between using L1 indicator on
Detail time calcs (not) in the
Total time column vs L0 indicator in the Total time column (I know but
its a bit like knowing how to cast
a spell, not everyone can do it.)

I am still tempted to use L1 and MR to get a full outer join on multiple
files and I have never seen code
using READS and CHAINS that achieve a full join, usually multiple passes
over the files are needed, I am
new to SQL and I dont know if SQL does a full outer join.

Is it general knowledge that RPG stands for Report Program Generator,
and the cycle is/was good for doing
just that, producing printed reports?  RPGIV is so far removed from the
old generator that it should not
really be called RPG anymore.

Having said all that the problem with dealing with subtotals and totals
from multile master
/transaction/detail files is a generic problem.  I am coming across more
and more RPG programs that
constantly reinvent the RPG cycle BUT in the body of the C-SPECS (ie all
files are (F) no (P)rimary or
(S)econdary), some do it well, most are imcomplete and an abortion to
change/fix, so there is a use for
the cycle for reports, but even this is becoming obsolete, arn't trees
becoming obsolete. :)