The only way I know to access vsam or Datasets is to create a cobol or sql api on the mainframe.  Then you can call it from sqlrpg or cblsql on ibm i.  Data Sets are basically flat files on the mainframe.  Vsam is a little closer to db2 but still you will need a cobol program to read it and pass the info back.  You can create programs on the AS400 that can read a DB2 file on the mainframe.  You can also submit jcl from the AS400.  You could ftp a dataset back to the as400 and back to the mainframe. There maybe other options and tools I am unaware of.