Hello Javier,

Am 04.04.2023 um 06:34 schrieb Javier Sanchez <javiersanchezbarquero@xxxxxxxxx>:

It's a real shame that IBM behaves like this with its business partners.

I'm not a business partner. As Götz rightfully points out, I'm a nobody. A nobody with no (direct) financial benefit to offer. Neither to the company, nor its shareholders. But even nobodies have a right to be treated with some dignity.

Every IBMi developer is a merchant of their systems and their products. It's kind of rude for them to do that. In my country we have a saying that goes like this: the devil pays badly to those who serve him well. Although it is our daily bread, it does not mean that we should not criticize these types of limitations that they impose. It is true that copyright exists, but that should not be a weapon to attack its loyal followers who are lovers of their technology and who closely follow each improvement they make. They should be nicer to all of us. And who better than us that we advertise them so that they sell more?

I wholeheartedly agree. But then, it's all about money. Being nice doesn't increase shareholder value. Welcome to real world capitalism. :-)

On the other hand, allowing more hobbyists to succeed (because of available documentation) *might* increase sales in the future. (One can argue it also fosters software piracy.) The best customer is one who is loving his job and his tools, and not only doing "just a job". He'll stay with the company and the platform, providing regular revenue through the endless chain of service-contract forced hard- and software updates. Unfortunately, you can't measure this impact and as such it gets ignored.

:wq! PoC