Hello Rob,

Am 31.08.2021 um 13:04 schrieb Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx>:

1 - If "everyone" waits, who are you waiting on?

Not everyone is waiting. Look at yourself. :-) And you are not alone.

2 - To get the new features. Stuns me the guys who belittle IBM i for not having certain features (temporal tables for example) and then don't upgrade to the release having that for a few years.

Apparently, this is not something *that* important to some. Business or not.

3 - Cause I'm a nice guy.

I don't see how this is related to the topic, but I don't object. ;-)

4 - Because when I ran cross country you didn't get any trophies if you let others lead to see if the ground was uneven or had snakes or ground hornets.

But if you lead, I guess it's normal that others stay behind. So you lead and at the same time blame others to not keep up with you, leaving all the "nice" encounters on the way (like bear traps, pitfalls and the likes) for you. And then you blame them? Especially considering the IBM environment where (software) "innovation cycles" have always been happening in a more endurable pace compared to the crazy PC industry. At least this is my perception.

5 - If you wait way too long the trailblazers can't remember the pain. For example if someone asks what difficulties did you have upgrading to 7.3 I'm like "that was what 5-6 years ago, I can't remember".

There's always the option to ask some from the left-behinds, having upgraded not so long ago. Surely the chain of "someone else to ask" might reach out all the way to the front where you're running with other striving-for-the-latest-and-greatest for reasons of your own. :-) (And no, this isn't about my retrocomputing hobby. See my mail you answered here.)

:wq! PoC