I respectfully submit that it is easy to do.  If they're using tab to get to the field, then it won't be an issue.  If they're using field exit, then they're wiping out other fields; that seems unlikely.

But if you're ADAMANT about it, you can still handle it.  I really didn't want to go much further down this road, but you can put auto record advance on the field.  Then if they field exit, control will return to the program and you repopulate it and redisplay.  At most they'll see a quick blink.

There are ALWAYS ways around it.  My point is that you're going to throw out the baby with the bathwater for what I consider to be encouraging a bad behavior. And to be clear, the bad behaviro is not the field exit, but complaining about a non-issue.  You might even use this as an opportunity to open a dialog about what constitutes a problem and what is just perception.

This is as close as you're going to get.  The behavior is as requested (tab to a non-enterable field) and the one edge condition (clearing the field with field exit) is non-destructive.  To me that's an opportunity for communication, not a reason to throw out the solution.

Or not.  That's your call.